Newton and Noss Village Hall
Newton & Noss Village Hall is a Grade II listed building originally built in 1839 as a chapel, then used as a school. The Hall comprises two spaces: the Main Hall and the Revelstoke Room, both of which are available for hire for weddings and events, offering flexible facilities for up to 120 guests in the Main Hall and around 40 in the Revelstoke Room both with their own facilities for making hot drinks, modern fully equipped kitchens, internet access with wifi throughout and updated toilet facilities.
In addition, the Main Hall has a recently installed modern sound system and overhead projector
To find out more or to book the hall, please use this link to access the Newton and Noss Village Hall Website
The Women’s institute Community ( WIC ) Hall in Newton Ferrers is a hub of activity from yoga classes to guest talks in the village. In 2014 the Hall underwent a total refurbishment and now has a spacious, fully furnished main hall that will accommodate events of up to 130 people (or 100 seated), plus a smaller meeting room with its own facilities for making hot drinks, a modern kitchen fully equipped to serve 100 guests, a state of the art sound system, an overhead projector, internet access with wifi throughout, updated toilet facilities and access for those with restricted mobility.
Available for hire, interested parties should visit the Women’s Institute Community Hall website :
The Reading Room
From Spirit of the Yealm
The Reading Room lies on the south side of Riverside Road West about 50 metres beyond the slipway at “The Brook”
Hidden away on full view, the Reading Room has been there since the late 1800’s . Indeed, the Tythe map f 1840 shows a small, unoccupied cottage where the Reading Room now stands and it is referred to as “The Club” in some minutes of 1897 as having existed for many years. The Club was run mainly as library with a range of books and newspapers and some games such as Bezique, Drafts and Bagatelle. Members paid a shilling a quarter, but the main running costs were met by subscriptions from Honorary Members. Children were able to borrow books on payment of a penny and visitors could become temporary members for 6 pence per week and 1 penny per book.
The Reading Room continues to this day as a Snooker Club open to all residents of the district.
From Spirit of the Yealm
The Tilly Institute lies at the start of Passage Road in Noss Mayo immediately opposite the Newton & Noss Village Hall.
Until 1882 this was the Noss Mayo School building , dating from 1843 and extended in 1878 . When the school moved to what is now the Village Hall, the old building became a library and snooker hall with the caretakers cottage adjoining .
In 1918 it was named the “Tilly Institute” in honour of Sir William Cresswell Gray’s Land Agent who had been killed in Ypres. The building has been a valuable asset ever since and is home to The Tilly Snooker Club which continues to this day. Residents can join for a small annual fee
Link to Snooker Club https://www.newtonandnoss-pc.gov.uk/community/indoor-clubs-and-activities/
Contact Kim Carter on 872973 to Hire the Tilly Institute